Connecting with nature is great for you! The beauty is in how simple it can be. Remember if you can’t get outside, you can always bring the outdoors in.
- Go barefoot and feel the grass or sand beneath your feet.
- Cloud gaze – what shapes can you see? Notice how quickly the sky moves around you and how beautiful the fresh air is.
- Walk in nature with a friend.
- Bird watch.
- Find a nature photo online and make it your computer background.
- Organise a class/work/family picnic in your local park.
- Use natural material to make art – think seaweed, shell, sand and flowers.
- Create a green space in your school, office or home with indoor plants. If you’re the competitive type, you could instigate a green space competition.
- Trek to ngahere; korero karakia with tangaroa and your maunga. (Talk and pray with your god and your mountain).
- Bathe in the mauri ora (life spirit) of our natural environment that gives us its own wonderful oranga (health, welfare etc).