MHAW Workplace Challenge
Our Workplace Challenge will help your workplace whānau/family Connect with Ranginui/Sky Father and Papatūānuku/Earth Mother, Keep Learning about Māori ancestral knowledge and our New Zealand history and Take Notice of how it can strengthen our wellbeing at work.
How can my workplace take part?
- Take inspiration from our ‘Let nature into your workplace (Tukua te uho taiao ki roto nā papa mahi)' fact sheet.
- Pick some of our suggested activities or create your own!
- Have a fabulous time doing the activities, take lots of photos and/videos and tell us in 200 words or less what you did, how it felt, and how you plan to keep letting nature and Māori culture in and be in to win a $200 morning tea for you and your colleagues. See more information on how to enter below!
Here are some ideas to get you thinking... You’ll find more inspiration here:
- Learn a karakia, whakataukī/Māori proverb or waiata/song with native birds, plants, nature in it.
- Take some chairs or a bench outside so teams can relax together and get some fresh air and sunshine during meetings or on breaks.
- Invite your people to bring in an array of natural materials (think seaweed, shell, sand and flowers) and have a ‘lunch and art’ session and display the creations afterwards.
- Share fun and interesting facts about native plants and animals each day.
- If your people are shift workers, encourage them to Take Notice of the night sky.
- Take Notice of the actions and activities happening in the team that support wellbeing with the ‘Taking Notice of Wellbeing’ team game.
- Learn about the Māori Gods such as Tāwhirimātea/God of the winds, Tangaroa/God of the sea.
- Start or join a kapa haka/cultural group.
- Plant a native tree and have a tree planting ceremony to celebrate.
- Encourage your people to bring in kai/food to share with others, perhaps from your own garden or fishing trip, or prepare and share the kai together.
- Compost your team’s food scraps.
- Support and encourage your people to learn (or share with others) where they are from, and the names of their mountains and rivers.
What you’ll win!
A morning tea worth $200 for your team (up to 30 people) and promotion of your workplace winning the challenge.
How to enter?
The competition opens 9am on Monday, 8 October 2018 and any activity must take part during MHAW week. You must have completed your activity by 5pm on Friday, 12 October 2018. In order to enter the challenge, please email us with the subject line 'Workplace Challenge' and include your workplace name, how many people work there, what types of activities you did for the challenge and a photo/video if you have one. To be eligible for the prize you must submit an entry by 5pm Friday, 12 October 2018. Read our full terms and conditions.